In the Flow with Healing Waters
How is your Vagus Nerve??
An optimal functioning vagus nerve is absolutely paramount in optimizing health and halting the progression of diseases.
As described by D. Navaz Habib from the book Activate your Vagus Nerve, states an optimal functional body is a symphony orchestra. Each different instrument has parts to play and optimal harmony can only be reached if each instrument is directed to do its job. The conductor makes sure all instruments are in tune and in tempo.
The vagus nerve is the conductor of the human body symphony orchestra. It regulates the function of so many different organs and cells in our body, but it can only do so if it’s functioning optimally. Lack of harmony leads to dysfunction and disease.
- Allows food to be swallowed- pauses the breathing reflex so you don’t choke when you eat- If VN is not working right, you may cough and decrease the gag reflex
- Manages your airway and vocal cords- keeps the upper airway open and allows communication. Controls vocal pitch and allows sounds to form. If VN is not working well, you may have a chronically hoarse throat, easily fatigued or monotonous voice.
- Controls breathing- VN relays info to the brain regarding O2 and carbon dioxide levels, slows breathing rate and deepens the breath- If VN is not working well, you may have sleep apnea and COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Controlling Heart Rate- VN keeps heart rate within a comfortable range when our body is not under stress.
- Maintains optimal Blood pressure- VN relays info to and from the kidneys to manage the flow of water and fluid managing the overall blood pressure of the body.
- Controls many functions of the liver- VN relays important info to and from the liver. Regulates where blood flows in the body
- Activates emptying the gall bladder
- Manages hunger and satiety
- Manages Blood Sugar and Insulin levels
- Manages the release of Digestive enzymes from the pancreas
- Manages the activity of the immune system
- Manages inflammation in the gut
Amazing how this one nerve does all of these functions….how does it manage it all?
It’s electrical! The VN releases an electrical signal to the end of a neuron which induces a neurotransmitter to be released from the cell. Through another set of processes, the signals reach different parts of the body.
Why doesn’t the Vagus Nerve work well?
Various issues can cause the VN to dysfunction….
- Poor breathing- breathing too high in your chest (think…belly breathing is best)
- Dysfunctional posture causing dysfunctional airway- postural issues of the back and neck- being on gadgets, phones, computers don’t help our posture
- Dysfunctional digestive sequence- eating too fast or not chewing long enough (remember food actually tastes better when you slow down and enjoy)
- Bacterial overgrowth- Diagnosis of SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth)
- Poor dietary Choices- highly processed foods
- Dysfunctional microbiome
- Chronic inflammation and immune activation
- Dysfunctional heart rate
- Dysfunction liver function
- Chronic Stress
- Dysfunctional sleep and circadian rhythm- “deep restorative sleep is the gym for the vagus nerve”
If you have any of these symptoms the vagus nerve may be the cause. Healing Waters specializes in moving electricity. We are here to help.